Aberysmallplace
This is only relevant to those going to Aberystwyth, Wales in September. And as far as I've heard/read, there are quite a few from HELP.
I have told some of you that Aber is small. That it is kampung. That it's not for some of you.
I am here to tell you that I was neither lying nor exaggerating.
One of my friends went there returned and told me the same thing I've told some of you:
"It's the size of Bangsar."
I used those exact same words if you some of you may remember. You ingat I drama ke? Kan dah kata!
There is one cinema with ONE screen there. '300', a movie which came out here about a month ago, is coming out on the 20th of APRIL there. Forget club hoping. There is one nightclub there. Yup, ONE. Shopaholics? You'd better purge that addiction NOW before you get withdrawal syndromes. And no, I don't think there is a Chinatown or Little India, but I guess you would have deduced that by now.
Honestly, even Manchester is small compared to KL, and I had to deal with it. So if you're a city boy/girl and love the hustle and bustle of city life, you may want to brace yourself if you are going to Aber. When I went to Cardiff (the capital of Wales, mind you) I felt I could not live there. It's nice and all, but too small for me. If the largest town in Wales is small, just imagine Aber.
Look it up on Google maps if you don't believe me. And also look for the nearest large city on the map. It's literally hours away because Aber has the sea on one side and on the other is national park land (hence the limited development). This will mean it will most likely cost a lot of time and cash to get your shopping/clubbing/food/traveling fix.
There are plus points though. (See, I'm being fair).
- Free bus rides for uni pass holders (not that you need a bus-you can walk when it's that small).
- A place where 'everyone knows everyone'; it's a small, friendly uni andtown village. A very good advantage (note: the British are not famous for warmth).
- The Uni will *probably* be a lot more personal than huge unis like Manchester, Liverpool, etc. This is again, a very strong plus point.
- You are probably getting bigger rooms than most other uni accommodation in the UK because land is less costly there.
- Cost of living and fees are probably lower. For one, you don't need to spend a lot on transport. For another, you don't have many places to spend at anyway.
- Smaller towns usually have lower crime rates and social problems.
- It's near the beach. Don't expect Sipadan or even Morib but being next to the sea has it's benefits (and disadvantages, especially weather wise). The sand is rough and the sea will be cold for most of the year though. You'll take about 2 days to actually get a tan. Except in summer when it actually is hot.
- The surrounding area is beautiful. It's small so the surrounding areas are not blocked from sight.
- There are excellent views of the sea and hillsides from certain places, including certain student accommodation.
- Close to a National Park and other areas of natural beauty for nature buffs.
- Less pollution from industrial areas or overdevelopment.
- You might get cheaper and fresher seafood. I'm not sure though, I'm just assuming.
There you go. Now you know. It is basically a kampung. But if you like it/can take it, then it's not a big deal. In fact, if you hate crowds and love the simple life, it's very quaint. But if you don't, then don't you dare say I didn't warn you!
Addendum (10/4/2007)
Ok, I admit I may have been a bit harsh on Aber. But I've made my point. You can go on consoling yourself or refuse to believe me as much as you want. Fact is, although I may have been dramatic in form, the substance is there; every fact I presented was true.
Another thing I forgot to point out is a minor fact that there are no trains from Aber to London. You have to change trains at Cardiff. I reckon it will take about 4 hours over, assuming you change immediately.
Look, don't hate me cause I tell you the truth, 'aight?
I have told some of you that Aber is small. That it is kampung. That it's not for some of you.
I am here to tell you that I was neither lying nor exaggerating.
One of my friends went there returned and told me the same thing I've told some of you:
"It's the size of Bangsar."
I used those exact same words if you some of you may remember. You ingat I drama ke? Kan dah kata!
There is one cinema with ONE screen there. '300', a movie which came out here about a month ago, is coming out on the 20th of APRIL there. Forget club hoping. There is one nightclub there. Yup, ONE. Shopaholics? You'd better purge that addiction NOW before you get withdrawal syndromes. And no, I don't think there is a Chinatown or Little India, but I guess you would have deduced that by now.
Honestly, even Manchester is small compared to KL, and I had to deal with it. So if you're a city boy/girl and love the hustle and bustle of city life, you may want to brace yourself if you are going to Aber. When I went to Cardiff (the capital of Wales, mind you) I felt I could not live there. It's nice and all, but too small for me. If the largest town in Wales is small, just imagine Aber.
Look it up on Google maps if you don't believe me. And also look for the nearest large city on the map. It's literally hours away because Aber has the sea on one side and on the other is national park land (hence the limited development). This will mean it will most likely cost a lot of time and cash to get your shopping/clubbing/food/traveling fix.
There are plus points though. (See, I'm being fair).
- Free bus rides for uni pass holders (not that you need a bus-you can walk when it's that small).
- A place where 'everyone knows everyone'; it's a small, friendly uni and
- The Uni will *probably* be a lot more personal than huge unis like Manchester, Liverpool, etc. This is again, a very strong plus point.
- You are probably getting bigger rooms than most other uni accommodation in the UK because land is less costly there.
- Cost of living and fees are probably lower. For one, you don't need to spend a lot on transport. For another, you don't have many places to spend at anyway.
- Smaller towns usually have lower crime rates and social problems.
- It's near the beach. Don't expect Sipadan or even Morib but being next to the sea has it's benefits (and disadvantages, especially weather wise). The sand is rough and the sea will be cold for most of the year though. You'll take about 2 days to actually get a tan. Except in summer when it actually is hot.
- The surrounding area is beautiful. It's small so the surrounding areas are not blocked from sight.
- There are excellent views of the sea and hillsides from certain places, including certain student accommodation.
- Close to a National Park and other areas of natural beauty for nature buffs.
- Less pollution from industrial areas or overdevelopment.
- You might get cheaper and fresher seafood. I'm not sure though, I'm just assuming.
There you go. Now you know. It is basically a kampung. But if you like it/can take it, then it's not a big deal. In fact, if you hate crowds and love the simple life, it's very quaint. But if you don't, then don't you dare say I didn't warn you!
Addendum (10/4/2007)
Ok, I admit I may have been a bit harsh on Aber. But I've made my point. You can go on consoling yourself or refuse to believe me as much as you want. Fact is, although I may have been dramatic in form, the substance is there; every fact I presented was true.
Another thing I forgot to point out is a minor fact that there are no trains from Aber to London. You have to change trains at Cardiff. I reckon it will take about 4 hours over, assuming you change immediately.
Look, don't hate me cause I tell you the truth, 'aight?
Comments