Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copehagen) by Tom Waits

This (very long) song is often called 'Waltzing Maltilda' because it incorporates the popular Australian folk song of the same name, but is officially named 'Tom Traubert's Blues' and is subtitled, Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen. However, Rod Stewart has covered this song and subtitled it as 'Waltzing Matilda'

This song left me breathless when I first heard it, and it still does. It evokes so much emotion and atmosphere, and its ambiguous lyrics make it both personal and universal at the same time, giving it many layers of meaning. Tom Waits is a real artiste.


Yes, ok, putting up random vidoes and then throwing a paragraph or two of comment doesn't count as blogging, not by my book anyway, but these past months have made it extremely difficult for me to express myself here in both legible and, shall we say, agreeable terms. I reason that it's better than leaving the blog dormant (although I admit it's coming close to that) so I'll let others do it by proxy. For now anyway, until I pull myself together, if I ever...

Comments

Popular Posts